One could say that 2017 has been…*deep sigh*…a year.
At least for me I know it has been one hell of a roller coaster ride, what with many ups and downs and twists and turns. However in all of that I made some incredible memories that I will forever cherish and hold close to my heart, and those instances will always outweigh the bumps and bruises. However the most important part is that we survived it and even if that was the only thing we managed to do this year that is to be celebrated and seen as a win. So now as I sit on my couch waiting for the new year to begin I figured what better time to look back on my 2017 resolutions and set some for 2018.
1. Travel to some place I’ve never been before. // Big ole check! I went to London for a week this year and it was one of the best experiences of my life.
2. Write daily. // Once again I did not accomplish this. I do well in spurts but I never manage to make it an everyday thing. But something is better than nothing and I made strides in writing this year that I haven’t in a few years, so not completely failed.
3. Spend money better. // I feel I did pretty well on this one. I cut back my spending in a few areas for sure and had less frivolous spending than I am capable of.
4. Learn to focus better. // It took some time but I eventually got to a point where I accomplished some work on this. I’ve discovered a few ways that work for me when it comes to focusing, clearing my mind, and blocking out negativity but it’s always a work in progress.
5. Be relentless. // This is another ‘I did and I didn’t’ type of resolution. In some areas I accomplished what I had in mind and in other areas I didn’t put in the effort I wanted to. It’s a learning curve and a reminder that going forward I have to make conscious efforts to push myself.
Overall though I am pretty content with my personal efforts, I’ve taken chances like traveling outside the country for the first time, applying for jobs (getting them, and then turning them down after deep consideration), and returning to NaNoWriMo. I took some control of my life in terms of physical and mental health, which was way past due but once again better late than never. I accomplished reading 50 books in one year, which I’m still sometimes surprised I managed to do, and I reconnected with people and friends I had been disconnected with (which was no one’s fault but mine). Strides were made in the face of a pretty harrowing and dissuading year of heart break and tragedy and spectacular incompetence and hate. So now we remember it all and tuck it away so we can face the new year and whatever the Universe has in store for us.
1. Budget better. // I did well with a money related goal last year and I want to keep that up. Be more mindful of my wants versus my needs when I am buying things.
2. Make time for friends. // I had a couple moments this year with friends where I am reminded how important they are to happiness. I tend to get lost in my one mind and my introvert tendencies, and I occasionally think I am a burden and bugging people, so I just need to remember they love me and don’t think of me that way. If I have to travel to see them or just remember to keep in better contact, it’s an effort I need to make.
3. Challenge myself. // It could be picking up a new skill or just pushing myself outside my comfort zone, but I am a creature of habit and I let it take over.
4. Tackle a shelved goal. // Over the years I’ve had ideas and goals that for whatever reason I put on a shelf for later date, and I want to return to at least one.
5. Take care of myself. // Not that I’ve ever just not taken at least the most basic care of myself, but this year I’ve learned that putting things off till the last possible minute is not necessarily the best. I had to grow up in that way during the last part of 2017 and I want to embrace that and keep on top of all things, both mentally and physically.
So there we have it. I like to think that my 2017 was about the “Grow Up” and that will then allow for 2018 to be the “Glow Up” year. Did you accomplish your 2017 resolutions? Did you make any? Do you have any for 2018? Do you even believe in them or find them to be crap?
I hope you all are having a fun, safe, and comfortable New Years Eve and wish a very happy New Years to you and yours!